RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Friday, January 11, 2013

SIMPLE CELEBRATIONS.......

SIMPLE CELEBRATIONS..................

I really enjoy celebrations.........I have been so blessed to learn from so many sources along
the years....my sister has hosted family gatherings; a wedding; and showers...my sister in law
has shown me many ways to host huge gatherings and treat overnight guest.........my daughter in law has given me great "baskets" upon being a guest in her home and having everything I could want to make me feel loved.........my other sisters seem to have a knack for bringing colors and pretty things together "for to go" parties......I have worked in the past at summer camps for teens helping prepare for over 300 to eat and many a Valentine or other banquet where "special" was prepared beyond measure.............

My mind is full of ideas but I take a "twist" on it all and try to do it on a budget.........

I love when a table or buffet or shower "makes you feel welcome" and special........* I am also
blessed to go to a church which has taught this for many years.......*
Celebrations can be simple.......I use what I have most of the time.
Here are some things I have collected....
. 3 -Tier Silver stand ( I found clear plates at the second hand store) -used for cookies or small sandwiches
. Cloth or pretty paper napkins (these make it special and usually only cost $2 or under)-
can be spread out in line or placed in a pretty basket
. Napkin rings- these can be found on clearance many times or make your own using a little wire and a flower or other item
. Baskets- second hand store...Large flat or tray like -group plates or napkins or centerpiece
. Serving plates- find the colors you want only .50 -$2 second hand stores
. White paper plates- for more simple celebrations Summertime
. White plates- can be put on a charger to look extra special
. Plastic pitchers in bright colors - Summertime drinks such as lemonade
. Serving bowls- My sister has several large ones that fit big salads (Kohls has nice sales on these)
. Candle holders- the small glass votive s..I have used these over and over on my table . I have sometimes used the matching color candles or used white tea lights. All in all it gives the table
a glow.........
. Nice quiet music in the background

.....You dont have to have any or all of these....A pretty table with a sign made by your children saying Welcome Home to their daddy says it all!

Other celebration items that you can purchase inexpensively are :
Balloons; Paper lanterns; Tissue flowers ( my daughter in law makes these and they are gorgeous!
These can be bought at the dollar store including the tissue * I almost always buy white tissue in packs for my gifts

Glass vases; silk flowers; little chocolates to place in tiny jars; netting to hold candy; pretty tea bags inside a pocket of a card; little glittery pieces that sprinkle on the tablecloth; a small mirror in the middle of the table to reflect your centerpiece or candles.....

...................................

Hosting a celebration
. Have a plan on how you want it to go.........( of course if this is just a family celebration this would be different and you can go with the flow).......but if you are hosting the family gathering for instance....Get a simple notebook .....and make a list of your meal; groceries; special dishes you may need...cakes or desserts etc......
This may sound silly to some but it rest my mind ...and helps me to have it there in the book and done!

. If hosting a shower or buffet ....make a plan. Again the items needed; who will bring what;
who will help with different areas ( let people help ...it makes them feel needed) On the other hand dont make others feel that Have to help you clean up etc....Have that prepared ahead of time of who you may ask.....
Let the special guest for the event feel special and make it about them! Have fun!
..................................

Ideas from others

. My friend ; host our ladies circle each month at her home. She always has her table decorated with a nice cloth; potluck dishes; coffee and tea to enjoy. She has a large wooden shelf above her table decorated with each months theme ( ex Valentines Day)....She also has
long tables set up ; decorated with plates and a favor each month for us to enjoy. She doesnt have to do this but it always makes me feel loved when I have been there!

. My sister in law....hosted a family holiday a few years ago and I spent the weekend at her "Lodge Home".
She had everything planned for the holiday along with special "gifts" given throughout the day through games. She had food all set out buffet style in her kitchen warm and ready to go.
They had coffee and all different sorts of creamers( I loved this) and everyone bought dessert and she had them all set in a pretty setting.She made you feel loved and welcome..... Our room for the night had fresh towels; great smelling soap and was beautifully furnished..It was like a special retreat..and ....I felt very loved.

. My sister ....has had many family celebrations...She serves buffet style as well. She has hosted winter inside gatherings with candles; music; and many appetizers and food dishes...She has had showers; a wedding and my moms Hawaiian 90th birthday.....Each one was special and well decorated with pretty silver and glass dishes; special cakes; and Hawaiian themes and food to enjoy with pretty leis to wear and a special one flown in from Hawaii for my moms birthday...She also fills the room we stay in with Fresh flowers and may have special candies or treats or a delish Coffeecake on a stand with OJ served in a beautiful glass container for breakfast...

. My daughter in law....made baskets for my husband and I and my daughter when we visited their home out West. They were in our room when we arrived... I loved that they were filled with so many nice things! Again our room was like a little retreat... She also made sure we had drinks; coffee creamers; foods and other necessities that we needed while there. We felt very loved when we left their home.

. Celebrations dont have to be formal or even cost alot but its the attention to DETAIL that each person gives that makes it special! 

. I can remember when our daughters were young we would have many "normal day" celebrations....such as a Tea Party on a blanket outside with hats and dress up clothes from the thrift store...or  my daughters and son would have a "picnic" inside on the floor with a pretend logs ..cowboy hats and food for the West...many a themed supper such as Italian night with breadsticks and a checked tablecloth and spaghetti ....or made signs for "Welcome Daddy who works so hard" night with fish sticks to eat; fish crackers and a cake with a fish on it and we all had a fishing pole...Crazy Fun Celebrations...make everyday life a day of Celebration!

................
Whatever you choose.........to celebrate make it simple and enjoyable for you and others!

No comments: