RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

THE FRIENDSHIP TRAIN.........."WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET ON BOARD?"


After World War II came to a close, the country of France began the task of rebuilding a nation ravaged by war. Years of German occupation had left the French people in great need of life's everyday necessities. In his daily column, the Merry-go-round, noted Washington newspaperman Drew Pearson suggested that America come to the aid of its European friend. Inspired by Pearson's idea of a Friendship Train, newspapers all across the country joined in the effort and over forty million dollars worth of supplies were collected to send to France. Seven hundred boxcars of food, fuel, medicine, and clothing left on a ship from New York City and arrived in France on December 18, 1947.

One of the largest crowds ever to gather in Ames for a civic activity met the train and its noted passengers. An estimated 5000 persons crowded the railroad station, which was decorated with American flags, banners and posters.


I thought it was so interesting to learn of this train from 1947........

I can remember as a very young girl about "Friendship".........I remember being a very shy girl and timid. But..I remember how it felt when someone let me sit by them on the yellow school bus; play on the swings ; teeter totter; or play dolls and house with them....

I can remember walking with a group of girlfriends down to the "drugstore" where they had a soda fountain and a long candy isle and we would gather our few cents and purchase a few candies for a treat.....

But........as I grew older my shyness turned to insecurities and I met up with some mean girls and clicks that I didnt know how to handle except exclude myself....


But.....I always had a mom who said I was just wonderful and to hold my head high ect.... ha ha

So by Jr High I finally pushed myself and got into ballet; plays; and then Speech Club and other Clubs that made me feel apart and better myself.


When I grew into a young married lady....I asked Jesus into my heart and my life began to change .....I was still growing into ideas about friendship and still trying to "fit it" to groups of ladies that would show me I was special. God had His plan to show me the real meaning of "Friendship" and through the years........He proved to me over and over that He was my best friend.....He could fill any need that I needed. His love and light would radiate throughout my soul!!!


But.......I also saw how God would bring "Friends" into my life that he needed me to learn from at certain times.....It seems that in a 30 year span I can see how and why He had brought each one into my life. Some to show me strength; some to show me humbleness; some to show me how to love others; Some to show me how to love your husband or children; Some to show me how to love God more; and some to show me how to Laugh and take like as it is!


I have also learned that my husband is my best friend.....and that our lives can be fun and full of joy.........But...........sometimes we can "pull too tight" on a friend and expect more than they can give. Of all my friends over the past 20 years I have just a few that live nearby me now. I have some that I never see; some in heaven; and some that I see once or twice a year.

The phrase "To have a friend is to be a friend" holds so true......God has richly blessed me with many a friend. Some have given me "extraordinary blessings....." Some I rarely talk to.........but once I am your friend I am a friend!


What does it take to be on board "The Friendship Train"?

. Ask God for the friends you need.

. Be a FRIEND expecting nothing ( I did say nothing) in return.

. Exalt your friend not always yourself. *Remember Andy Griffith and "his sidekick Barney" and how he made Barney look good when he could have gotten the credit.

. Let your friendship "breathe" and let her have other friends; be quiet for awhile; have other opinions on things; be different from you

. When she tells you something in private keep it quiet. In fact, just forget it.....

. Let them make mistakes ...then be a friend

. Try and keep around ladies who care about others and good things...You may be a little lonely but its ok because God sends us who we need.

. Do things for "friends" unknowingly .......

. Dont stay too long..........in their house; phone; computer...........We all can say things we regret if we are too tired; or over stressed.

.If you find a friend who has a need have discernment with giving her something. Some people need to go through things and allow God to give them things; You may purchase some grocery items and give but embarass a husband who may feel he cannot provide.

** I once gave a friend a couple of medium bags of groceries and said to her "Here are those groceries I owed you from before. She just smiled in front of her hard working hubby and it was done and nothing else said.

; Sometimes we "Feel" we must run to help them clean their dirty house when they are ill; and get ladies together to help this poor helpless woman when all the while God wanted to husband to see how to help his wife * Use discernment and check out the situations beforehand;

Sometimes we can leave a basket at a door with little fun gift items and walk away not needing a conversation....* I remember a lady who brought a cradle and babydoll for my daughter who had just had a baby girl. She left this beautiful cradle ect on the door and rang the bell and left.

We just felt so loved!!!

If you are ONE who feels they just do not have any friends STOP and think again what "Friendship" is and get on board and BE A FRIEND..........and enjoy the journey.....

1 comment:

Rebekah Tastet said...

Great thoughts and ideas!