RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Friday, March 2, 2012

BEEF BOURGUIGNON..........SIMPLY

This dish is well known through the famous cook "Julie Child". I can remember as a young
girl watching her and looking through her cookbooks.............

But........when I heard about this special dish I wanted to learn how to make it.......** It seemed so hard.........but after searching I realized their are many cooks out there that have adapted newer easier versions of the same delish dish.....I have taken from "Julie Child"; "Barefoot Contessa"; and the "French Chef" and pulled these together simply...........

BEEF BOURGUIGNON

.1-2 lbs of cut up beef ( I use a part of a roast I may buy for Sundays; or stew meat)
. Onions Sliced 1-2 medium
. Pearl Onions (opt)
. Carrots 3 regular or 4 small cut into same size 2" bites
. Flour 1/4 cup
. Butter 1-2 T
. 2-4 garlic cloves * I used the kind in the jar easy...remember to use less
. Bacon
. Mushrooms (opt)
. 3 cups of Grape Juice or Beef Bouillon
. 3 cups of Beef Bouillon

* Cut up meat. ( I do this when I buy it and freeze it cut up)....Dry meat throughly before browning....
* Heat Dutch Oven with 2 T oil. Brown meat on all sides. * Dont overcrowd ...then remove meat to small plate.
* Add cut up onions; carrots and brown 3-4 minutes Turn way down....
* Mix 1/4 cup flour with about a good T butter or butter sub. ............
* Then..........ADD to veggies and stir until mixed........

* Add Beef Broth; Grape juice or more Beef Broth
* Add meat back.........Cover and Bake 2-3 hours at 325...............* I try and reduce some of the broth. It seems to thicken nicely. *** If you need to you may place on stovetop and boil on low reducing the broth to thicken also...

** Meanwhile ( or near the end) saute 6-8 slices of bacon ( or whatever you have **I again use
whats leftover after a breakfast meal)..............** if need be pour a little grease off
** Then add little onions or sliced onions and saute .....Add mushrooms too at this time if you prefer.....
* Set aside these go on top..........

When baking is complete...........I serve with baked potatoes; hard bread; steam broccoli

No comments: