RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

THE CHALLENGE...FOR EVERYDAY MEALS

I HAVE A CHALLENGE...............FOR EVERYDAY MEALTIME....

      I have always worked on keeping a budget with several things in our household......from decorating; clothing; gardening and meals............BUT the past 6 months or so I have been alot more flexible with my purchases of food. Plus the cost of groceries seems to be climbing higher and higher.........

      What does that all mean? It means I have a CHALLENGE>  ......... to make meals that are nutrious ; delicious and filling.....Now I know I could eat more rice; more noodles and more fat but that really wouldnt be too good for my husband or familys body......

     I simply am taking the CHALLENGE each week and making and trying Fresh meals....

     One........I go with a BUDGET in mind.....I try and keep under $50....but of course Detergents; extra milk; breads; and any special items can raise this.....so $100 would be within reason.If I make the CHALLENGE..great it goes in a savings for other things or Food next month..

    Two...I take Jesus with me and ask Him to help be find the best buys....Then I look for mark downs; use coupons if possible; or if there is a good sale on Chicken I make chicken into a meal. several times that week.


    Three.....I have several "Mom " recipes stand bys that I have used over the years...My mom cooked from the Pennsylvania Dutch recipes and Depression Era and taught me how to make a beautiful meal from about anything....Things such as Meatloaf; Spaghetti; Baked Chicken; Chili; Potato Soup


    Four....I have this wonderful internet on hand now a days and have looked on Ten Dollar Dinners. com; ; The Pioneer Women; Paula Deen; and others finding several low cost delicious meals....


   Five...I look what I have on hand at home....then add to it each week...Example...Found a great sale on Bacon ( I know thats not always healthy but it was a great sale).....I can stretch this pound of bacon...
I can make this great dish by Julia Child " Beef Bouionn" ....( this dish uses a small part of bacon; a carrot or two; Beef chunks; onions) and I use a Grape baby juice...Delicious.!.............Another dish is found from Ten Dollar Dinners.....Potato Bacon Torte....(my husband loves this)  (this dish uses a little bacon ; cream (i use half and half) potatoes and I make homemade crust) serve with salad..........BLT sandwiches are great with a soup.......Chicken Cassolet .(using a little bacon; white can beans; chicken ; broth and carrots ; onions; and potatoes)

  Six...I almost always have on hand.....Carrots; Celery; Potatoes; Onions; Package of Chicken (under $6) if I buy a bag or under $4 if in regular package. I almost always split the huge chicken breast longways and pound it thin...( my husband likes it thin so this is good)....It goes twice as far.....I find a Roast if on sale ( and if big I cut end off and use for Beef B dish).....Pork chops can be really cheap sometimes at our store so I purchase these for one a piece....Burger ( I use about 1 lb in all my dishes).....Burgers for the grill I look for on sale in summer....I rarely buy lunchmeat at the deli unless there is a sale ...then about a pound with some nice cheese for a sandwich....** If I was fixing lunches for my husband to go (he doesnt always prefer) I would make leftovers to send or buy lunchmeat and fill in with lettuce; tomato.

   Seven....This week ...My meal plan is :
   Monday...Meatloaf;  Twice baked potatoes; roasted Fresh broccoli ( a friend gave me this! ) God provides even the small things!
   Tuesday.....Chicken Strips with sesame seeds; lemon Orzo; salad
   Wednesday...Bacon Potato Torte with salad
   Thursday.....Chicken and Biscuits Dish
   Friday.....Bean Burrito's ; home made salsa; chips side of rice....
   Saturday....Church supper   Saturday lunch....Homemade Broccoli Soup and leftover Bean Burritos
  Sunday.... Barbecue Ribs; potatoes; small salad

  These meals are to feed 5 adults and 2 children......

   I hope to post more about my CHALLENGE soon....

No comments: