RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

DECORATING THE HOME.....INSPIRATION


DECORATING THE HOME...INSPIRATION
I do like decorating my home but sometimes my ideas run stale so I enjoy looking for fresh ideas in books. I do think that our home is a reflection of who we are. We don't have to have alot of money to make it look good but we do need to know how to keep it neat and clean and if at all possible comfortable in decorating.
I go to the library and take out books for FREE. I pick our books that are more like me with French Country; Country or simple taste. For you it may be something else. I also enjoy "cottage living" as this is for a smaller home. I also find books on clearance from time to time that I enjoy having in my library to refer to over and over. My sister Barbara has purchased some of these books for me to have. I sometimes get ideas from decorating magazines such as "Country Living"; Romantic Homes"; or "Victoria". I usually purchase these at my local resale shop for .25 and alot of the time they are a year behind. * That is why I am always behind! ha ...But really they rarely change in a year.
Here are some ideas on getting inspiration from books:
1. Find a book or magazine at your local library. You may keep these for 2 weeks!
2. Get decorating magazines at thrift stores or resale shops. * When done with these throw out!
3. Make an idea file. Use a filing folder and mark Kitchen ideas ect... and keep these in file ready
to go. My daughter in law is so good at this!
4. Look into what your husband likes in decorating. He may not prefer "country roses" all over
the bedroom. Sometimes a neutral color can be the best. You may add accents.
Enjoy your decorating. What books have you found about decorating that inspire you?

1 comment:

Rebekah Tastet said...

I have enjoyed Mrs. Cowling's book on decorating! I have even visited Dawn Cowling's home in Arizona and went shopping with her and learned some of her tricks of the trade of decorating! She is amazing!
-Rebekah