RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

DECORATING....SHOPPING SMALL TOWN DAYS

MY FAVORITE LITTLE SHOP
OUR DOWNTOWN SQUARE
ONE OF MY FAVORITE HOMES
'THE HOLLY HOUSE'

A BEAUTIFUL BIRD PLAQUE

ON THE HOLLY HOUSE

THE BEAUTIFUL VERANDA ON

'THE HOLLY HOUSE'

TWO SMALL CHILDREN'S CHAIRS
FROM 'THE HOLLY HOUSE'
ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL VICTORIAN HOME
WE ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF THESE HOMES
AN OLD CAR SHOW IN TOWN
ANOTHER SMALL SHOP IN TOWN

DECORATING...SHOPPING SMALL TOWN DAYS
I hope you all had a blessed weekend! These have been busy days for me as summer approaches. We have had alot of work at our shop; a nice visit from our sweet daughter-in-law for a few days; baseball games and life in general. It seems everyday is something new to do but I do enjoy getting to help my husband with his work and sitting and watching him umpire the "little guys" baseball games. As my daughter and I were coming home from the shop on Thursday we were tired and weary. My daughter said" Mom don't you love "our small town"?
I looked outside of my window as driving and said " Yes it is a beautiful little town" and all the flowers were in bloom. The huge Victorian homes were well kept and clean all for my enjoyment!.
She then yelled out " Mom they are going to have a yard sale" at the old "Holly House". I said " Are they?". We were both crazy! I always pointed that particular house out when we would pass it. I loved the huge white clapboard and the winding veranda and the yellow rocker that sat upon the porch. I had passed it many times. I even used to walk by it on my exercising days.
I wondered (as you do) what must be inside. Well when my husband came home later that night I told him my great discovery for the day! He was tired and looked so thrilled! ha He told me that we had work to do on Saturday so I thought that was that.
Saturday morning came. I was up at 6:30 am for the sun was streaming through the window.
My husband got up soon after and got dressed and said "Lets go"....What I said? " Lets go to "The Holly House". I thought.......what about work; breakfast???? I thought I better just go while it was still in progress. We did! In fact it had just opened. They had beautiful things sat out on the lawn. I just stood there in awe staring at the house. My husband and daughter began looking around. I saw too that many of the items were $50-$100 or more. Oh my! But.........then there it was a little chair. Someday I will have to do a blog on little chairs. These two are a few of my favorite things. I saw this little chair for 2/$7. But there was only one! I didn't care. One would be fine from "The Holly House". I talked to the owner and told her how I loved her home and enjoyed its beauty all these years. She said to me" Why don't you go inside and take a look around?'. (They had just sold it) . I was so excited and couldn't believe it! ( My husband just looked at me and smiled ). I went inside and enjoyed the beautiful windows; winding staircase; and the veranda. I began talking to another lady and she took care of the home. She said why don't you do out and I will take your picture on the veranda in the yellow rocker. There I sat in the yellow rocker on the veranda at "The Holly House". When I came back out the owner had found the other little brown chair so I now had two. I also found two beautiful quilted linens for .25.
My husband then took me out to breakfast and then off to work we went..................
This summer as we get busy with our days. Find a small town and take a few moments to enjoy the sunshine; a nearby yard sale; and a simple breakfast. Its a great vacation and only takes about an hour.
I took those little wooden chairs home and will save them for our granddaughter to use someday but for now I sat one by my bed and sit my new summer library books on them to read. I am so thankful in the mist of the busyness of life my hubby took the time to enjoy shopping in small town days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blog! Joseph and I are planning on going away this weekend or next to a little town. (I still have to find one.) I love these little get aways. Amish country is full of these beautiful places with delicious food. I'm so excited now. -Marcy

Nancy M. said...

Marcy,
Sounds so fun for you and Joseph.
Buy a little treasure. I am so excited about the baby to come!!!
lv-mrs. m.

Paula said...

Thank you so much for giving us the nickel tour of your little town! :)

We currently live in a charming small town, and I am really going to miss it when we move. ;(

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

How fun! We loved living in Crown Point too when we were in Indiana.