RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Thursday, October 14, 2010

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS.....A COMFORT FOOD

*****My hubby mentioned the other day he would love to have some "chicken and dumplings" ( I admit I am not a great dumpling maker but found this recipe and it was so easy)........He couldnt stop complimenting this soup and me! He loved it!!!!

When I know he loves something (even a bowl of soup) it makes me happy too!

*** Another plus is I felt this is an inexpensive and comfort food for the Fall/Winter to come.

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS


  • 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders ** I USED ONE CHICKEN BREAST CUT UP
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced or thinly sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 rib celery, diced
  • 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/3 palm full
  • 2 tablespoons flour, a handful
  • 1 quart chicken broth or stock, canned or paper container, preferred brand Kitchen Basics * I USED CHICKEN BOUILLON AND ADDED ABOUT 2 MORE CUPS
  • 1 small box biscuit mix(preferred brand Jiffy Mix)
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
  • 1 cup frozen green peas * I DIDNT USE THESE THIS TIME

Directions

Dice tenders into bite size pieces and set aside. Wash hands.

Place a large pot on stove over medium high heat. Add oil, butter, vegetables and bay leaf and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season mixture with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Add flour to the pan and cook 2 minutes. Stir broth or stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Add chicken to the broth and stir. Cook low until chicken is done.... When about ready to serve....

Place biscuit mix in a bowl. Combine with 1/2 cup warm water and parsley. Drop tablespoonfuls of prepared mix into the pot, spacing dumplings evenly. Cover pot tightly and reduce heat to medium low. Steam dumplings 8 to 10 minutes. Remove cover and stir chicken and dumplings to thicken sauce a bit. Stir peas into the pan, remove chicken and dumplings from heat and serve in a pretty shallow bowl............

May serve with a small salad or crusty bread..............

No comments: