RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Friday, January 13, 2012

SIMPLE CELEBRATIONS......

SIMPLE CELEBRATIONS..................

I really enjoy celebrations.........I have been so blessed to learn from so many sources along
the years....my sister has hosted family gatherings; a wedding; and showers...my sister in law
has shown me many ways to host huge gatherings and treat overnight guest.........my daughter in law has given me great "baskets" upon being a guest in her home and having everything I could want to make me feel loved.........my other sisters seem to have a knack for bringing colors and pretty things together "for to go" parties......I have worked in the past at summer camps for teens helping prepare for over 300 to eat and many a Valentine or other banquet where "special" was prepared beyond measure.............

My mind is full of ideas but I take a "twist" on it all and try to do it on a budget.........

I love when a table or buffet or shower "makes you feel welcome" and special........* I am also
blessed to go to a church which has taught this for many years.......*
Celebrations can be simple.......I use what I have most of the time.
Here are some things I have collected....

. 3 -Tier Silver stand ( I found clear plates at the second hand store) -used for cookies or small sandwiches
. Cloth or pretty paper napkins (these make it special and usually only cost $2 or under)-
can be spread out in line or placed in a pretty basket
. Napkin rings- these can be found on clearance many times or make your own using a little wire and a flower or other item
. Baskets- second hand store...Large flat or tray like -group plates or napkins or centerpiece
. Serving plates- find the colors you want only .50 -$2 second hand stores
. White paper plates- for more simple celebrations Summertime
. White plates- can be put on a charger to look extra special
. Plastic pitchers in bright colors - Summertime drinks such as lemonade
. Serving bowls- My sister has several large ones that fit big salads (Kohls has nice sales on these)
. Candle holders- the small glass votive s..I have used these over and over on my table . I have sometimes used the matching color candles or used white tea lights. All in all it gives the table
a glow.........
. Nice quiet music in the background

.....You dont have to have any or all of these....A pretty table with a sign made by your children saying Welcome Home to their daddy says it all!

Other celebration items that you can purchase inexpensively are :

Balloons; Paper lanterns; Tissue flowers ( my daughter in law makes these and they are gorgeous!
These can be bought at the dollar store including the tissue * I almost always buy white tissue in packs for my gifts

Glass vases; silk flowers; little chocolates to place in tiny jars; netting to hold candy; pretty tea bags inside a pocket of a card; little glittery pieces that sprinkle on the tablecloth; a small mirror in the middle of the table to reflect your centerpiece or candles.....

...................................

Hosting a celebration

. Have a plan on how you want it to go.........( of course if this is just a family celebration this would be different and you can go with the flow).......but if you are hosting the family gathering for instance....Get a simple notebook .....and make a list of your meal; groceries; special dishes you may need...cakes or desserts etc......
This may sound silly to some but it rest my mind ...and helps me to have it there in the book and done!

. If hosting a shower or buffet ....make a plan. Again the items needed; who will bring what;
who will help with different areas ( let people help ...it makes them feel needed) On the other hand dont make others feel that Have to help you clean up etc....Have that prepared ahead of time of who you may ask.....
Let the special guest for the event feel special and make it about them! Have fun!
..................................

Ideas from others

. My friend ; host our ladies circle each month at her home. She always has her table decorated with a nice cloth; potluck dishes; coffee and tea to enjoy. She has a large wooden shelf above her kitchen table that is decorated with each months theme ( ex Valentines Day)....She also has
long tables set up ; decorated with pretty paper plates and a favor each month for us to enjoy. She doesnt have to do this but it always makes me feel loved when I have been there! * I know she is frugal and works on finding these items all year long at thrift stores and flea markets etc.....

. My sister in law....hosted a family holiday and I spent the weekend at her "Lodge Home".
She had everything planned for the holiday along with special "gifts" given throughout the day through games. She had food all set out buffet style in her kitchen warm and ready to go.
They had coffee and dessert and all sorts of creamers on hand( i loved that) Our room had fresh towels; soap and was beautifully furnished....I felt very loved.

. My sister ....has had many family celebrations...She serves buffet style as well. She has hosted gatherings inside her home during the winter as well as outside around her deck and pool area.... with candles; music; and many appetizers and food dishes...She has had showers; a wedding and my moms Hawaiian 90th birthday.....Each one was special and well decorated with pretty silver and glass dishes; special cakes; and Hawaiian themes and food to enjoy with pretty leis to wear and a special one flown in from Hawaii for my mom. She would take the time and make these events feel special for all....
Even the rooms we stayed in many times had fresh flowers; pretty soap to use and maybe a nice magazine to look through...I remember coming down for Breakfast where :Orange Juice was filled in a beautiful tall antique glass pitcher ; a homemade coffee cake was on a cake stand; sausage and eggs filled pretty bowls; and the smell of coffee filled the air......

. My daughter in law....made beautiful baskets for each of us when we visited their home out West.... I loved that they were filled with so many nice things! We had fresh beautiful rooms ( I told her they looked like a B and B) to sleep in. She also made sure we had drinks; coffee creamers; foods and other necessities that we needed while there. We felt very loved when we left their home.

. Banquets at our church. There is usually white tablecloths; candles; white plates ; centerpieces; nice soft Christian music; and a speaker or very well done play. Those that attend usually dress up and it is a nice formal evening done first class.

Potlucks.......These tend to be less formal and dont require much except disposable plates; cups and plasticware....But you can make it special by purchasing a pretty wipe down Tablecloth in nice colors for the season....*These can be found at a dollar store...I prefer to find the ones with a flannel backing as they last longer.....
If a holiday such a Valentines maybe add some paper hearts around the table or make heart shaped cookies to bring along........

................
Whatever you choose.........to celebrate make it simple and enjoyable for you and others!

No comments: