THOUGHTS.......A MOTHER HEN AND HER CHICKSOne of my favorite "old" books is called "Mother Carey's chickens". I love it because it reminds of how a mother gathers her little "chicks" all around her and under her wings.
This teaches us how important the care and the love of a mother is.
These past few weeks I have helped care for my 88 year old mother. Saturday she was finally well enough to go to a rehab center when she now resides until she is strong enough to do the next step and go home. This has been a gateway into the life of a mother who raised 6 children and loved my dad and took time to love others too. My mother loved being a wife and mother more than anything. She told me that it was the greatest career you could have in her eyes.
My mother cared for my dad daily and made him number #1. She cared for her children and taught them to work hard ; care for others; persevere when times where tough; do right; and laugh and have joy in life! She always kept a tidy home and a warm meal.
I picture a mother hen gathering her chicks into a nice comfortable nest. A nest that showed security. A nest that was clean and tidy. A nest that was made of the best things around. My mom always called us her "little chicks" , she always would wait for her"little chicks" to come back to the nest. :)
This week we made a "nest" for my mom. Her little room at the rehab center was a nice little room with a small table and chairs; a nice wing back chair; a nice small recliner ; a hospital bed; and a dresser. My sister and I went to Walmart and began our work on her "nest". She purchased a large floral wreath and hanger for her front door; a nice smelling room freshener to make her room smell pretty; a basket to hold her hairbrush; lipstick; blush; hand cream; and other personal things; a medium white wipe off board in which we could put the physical therapist names on for her and the list of names of those who my sister lined up to come sit with mom for a couple of hours each day of the week.; also a bulletin board to hold cards; notes and inspirational thoughts from others; flowers and hanging basket; a bird feeder for her outside window; a pretty throw for her legs; cleaning supplies; healthy snacks and drinks in case she or her caregivers would need a treat; a basket where books or magazines could sit for others to look at; 2 nice little books from Hallmark to fill in the dailies of mom's days for the caregivers to fill out; and hand cleaner for each who care for her to use. We also bought two of her pictures from her room to hang and her bed pillow for comfort.
Some may think this takes too much time to make a "nest" like this but I know of someone who many years ago "took me under her wings" and made a beautiful nest for me!
*Note: There were many ladies at moms rehab that had no one to make them a nest. I always tried and talk and smile with them. Next time you may visit a rehab home take them a little something to brighten their nest!
7 comments:
My Grandma is a good a example of how mother hens take care of their chicks.
While Grandpa had parkenson's disease, Grandma always made sure that he had everything he needed.
Beth
So true - everyone needs someone to care for them - even mothers!
-Rebekah Tastet
You are so incredible. -Marcy
I'm glad to see your mother is doing better. She is a blessed lady to have a daughter like you.
Hello, I saw your comment at Kelli's blog and notice your beautiful Great Blue Heron avatar and I had to come see you blog. Well, I am so glad that I did. What a beautiful thing to do for your mother. What an example to us. I know that is not why you do it nor why you tell us about it. I am going to look for a nest that needs brightened. Thank you.
Jenn
www.homeschoolblogger.com/jenn4him
What a sweet daughter you are to make your mom such a lovely nest, I know she appreciates it very much.
~Kelli
This was such a sweet post...what a blessing for you and your siblings to be taking such good care of your mother.
Post a Comment