RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Thursday, September 25, 2008

FALL SCHEDULE....MEAL PLANNING

FALL SCHEDULE.....MEAL PLANNING


Part of my Fall schedule includes eating! I love food! Oh is that a good thing or a bad thing.
Food has always been a great part of family to me. I enjoy making a nice meal and having those I love enjoy taking part in the meal and talking and feeling comfort and loved.

When I was a little girl back in the 1950's mothers were home and the family table was a normal part of life. Dinner was usually served around 5 or 6 pm . Life now has become faster;and peoples lives are somewhat more complex so it seems hard to fit in that family meal.

I have seen books on how to bring your family back to the table; messages on signs saying "have a family night' or even articles in the paper on how to get your children to sit down at a meal.

All I know is to learn from the "older women" and tradition and apply it to today. I have a dinner ready every evening around 5:30-6:00. But here is the difference............

. If no one comes home until later or if hubby works late it is ok. I just put it in containers or
keep it warm and its ready. No complaining who is there when I went to all that work. Its just part of our lives. ( Now I don't waste food but most of the time it gets all eaten)

. One time I had made two homemade pot pies. We ate one. A friend dropped by the next morning
and her family had being going through some rough times. As she was ready to leave; I reached in my fridge and asked her if she would like (the fresh one) to have for dinner. She did. It worked out again.

. Sometimes my husband is very tired and might prefer to watch the news while he and I sit at TV trays. That's ok too. We just have "our meal" and enjoy each other and the news.

. Some nights he has come home as we are to run to a baseball game and decided "well grab something to eat on the way home". That works too! Most things can freeze or use as leftovers.


. If I have young children and their dad works late; we have a sit down meal anyway. Its training time for them with no TV or cell phones etc......

. If my children have outside activities I am flexible and may make a "meal" and take some to them when I have to pick them up.

. Its also good to make mealtime fun; getting the children involved cooking; setting the table;redding up the dishes and even clean up. I remember the days my sister and I would sing and sing washing the dishes ( you know with soap and water ha)

. Here are some simple meal planning tips:

. EVERY MORNING....... I plan for dinner. I go by the things I bought for the week. I then don't have to hurry and think of something in the afternoon when I am a little tired. Things can even switch around but I have an idea going.....

. I plan a meat for 7 days. I usually use 1 lb burger for family; or one package of whole chicken breast for 2 meals; roast for a whole meal ( leftovers for beef stew or sandwiches); pork chops 1 per person with more sides.

. I plan a veggie for 7 days. I usually buy frozen or fresh if possible. I only use canned tomatoes
and beans.

. I plan a starch. I usually buy red potatoes and leave skins on but do buy on sale white potatoes for many sides. I buy only brown rice and add my own chicken broth for flavor.

. My husband is a diabetic and heart patient so I dont make many desserts. I love to bake so many times I will bake and give it away or to my older children. I serve him yogurt or fruit.
Canned peaches and freezing blueberries and apples give you warm deserts all winter.

Here are some simple meals.

. One dish meals. I take the meat. Brown it. Put it in a 8x10 baking dish. Add cut up carrots and potatoes and about 1/4 or more of water. Cover with foil . Bake 350 for 1 hour. Serve with rolls and cottage cheese. ** You can do this with any meat.

. Crock pot meals. I take roast with potatoes and carrots and cook all day on low . Just add medium jar of mild peppers with the juice to the roast and you have hot beef sandwiches.
Chicken goes in the pot with alot of water; little onion; celery; seasoning and cooks all day on low.
You may use it for chicken and noodles; chicken and rice; chicken shredded tacos or noodles.
Beef stew: Beef cut up in chucks; carrots; potatoes; I use Lawrys seasoning; 1 can diced tomatoes; water. Cook on low all day.


I know everyone has their way of meal planning. I have to eat healthier along with my husband
now and thus make a healthy budget meal plan.

What special meals do you have?

5 comments:

JeanMac said...

Another winning post - it's nice to read about a lady who is not "rigid" in her planning. Life happens and that flexibility surely shows in your life.That plated meal looks delicious!

Kelly said...

Oh I have missed stopping by all my blogging friends!!! This blog makes me so happy! Thanks for sharing all your ideas!I beleive too, that there should be a designated dinner time every night and it is a good feeling to the family to know that it will always be ready.

((hugs))
kelly

Rebekah Tastet said...

If I can, I try a few new recipes each week. Then I have my husband rate it...I make sure he tells me if he really liked it or if it was just OK since he will eat most anything. That way I know which recipes are Keepers!

Kimallen said...

Thank you for the great ideas. This was a wonderful post. I must admit my little Aaron must have a timer he knows when dinner is every night and if I am late he says "mama I eat tonight?"

Kris's Korner said...

Wonderful ideas. I'm always looking for "new" ways to prepare the same food every week. Thank you for that wonderful post.