FAMILY TIMES....CHILDRENI love children! I loved my children and all their days growing up. Of course there were many trying days ; days of learning; days of teaching and days of fun.
God made little children special ! They need love, care; attention; time and teaching!
We taught out chldren many things such as to love and obey God; love and respect their mom or dad ; love and respect their sister or brother ; keep clean; work hard; love books and reading; build; pretend; play games; and have fun and learn to laugh with life.
One of the things we taught from baby to older child was to love reading! We had classic books in baskets at home and would read and read to them. Then as they got older we would take a trip to the local library and bring home armful of books to read and explore! I wanted them to love reading and then love learning.
Some of the things we did to help them with the love of books were:
1. Made the girls an apron with cross-stitch squares on the top of the apron. Then we would pick out pretty buttons at the fabric shop and for every so many books they read they would get a button to sew on their apron. They still have these little aprons! ( this was an idea from my friend Denise) For my son...............we took a large square piece of felt and made a baseball field;
( from there we cut out baseballs and he would place baseballs for so many books he read!
2. We would keep out books in baskets that we would maybe take in a "fort" we made under the kitchen table and of course a large blanket to cover. There you could read many books with a flashlight!
3. We would get books on making things and cooking and do the required task.
4. We would get books on different lands; biographies; birds; trucks; anything of interest.
5. We would buy books about character and old classics.
6. We had them love most important book ; The Bible. They had this from the beginning and
learned Bible stories as they grew.
Books are fun! Books are learning. Books can open our eyes......!
What are some of your favorite books as a child?
3 comments:
There are so many! I love the library - I go every time I can:) Even Sierra will sit on the bed (at 10 months) and will look at children's books. My kids are allowed to stay awake and look at books as long as they want as long as they are lying down in bed. They take books to bed every night! We love books!
We love books at my house too. I think if you expose kids to books early they will develop a love for reading. We can NEVER have enough GOOD books. I love your blog. I would love to visit again.
What a wonderful post. Aaron truly loves books and adores the library. Every time we walk into the library door he jumps up and day and says"Yeah, I love books momma." Thank you for the great ideas.
Post a Comment