
The past few days I have been caring for my granddaughter.....I have always cherished the day I would hold the title of "grandma" and wanted to be a memory for my grandchild to hold dear in their hearts one day....
My sweet mom (now 90) who's mother passed away when she was just 5 years old. My dads mother passed away also in his childhood so I never had a grandmother on their side. When I married I did get to enjoy my husbands grandmother and she was wonderful.
But.......I do remember my mom playing childhood games with us such as "building a tent" under the kitchen table ; having a tea party with our dolls or stuffed bears; playing checkers or monopoly or mousetrap; cutting out Valentines with construction paper and white lacy paper doilies; playing dress up in old dresses and old high heels; playing jump rope ; hopscotch; library; or plays..... I remember playing "marching band" usually with an old Quaker Oats box and a wooden spoon pounding it atop " as we sand along ...march march march march!............
So this past week I was walking through my kitchen and spied an old pie tin on my counter and pulled out a wooden spoon and handed it to my granddaughter...I too ; took a spoon and lid and we began to play" March March March" around the room ; into the livingroom; back around to the kitchen; and through the room again........" March March March"........
I then spied some large paperbags on the counter I had just put there after unloading some grocerys and picked them up and began to turn the bag down and down at the top to make a perfect "band hat" and her and I began again " laughing as the bags fell off and on our heads and crying "MARCH MARCH MARCH (giggle) MARCH MARCH MARCH>>>>>>>
I have to say I got the idea from when I was young and because I saw my sweet sister in law doing this very thing with her little young daughter in their home on a little video she had sent to us. How cute they were enjoying a simple childhood game........
Memories with grandma are memories even for me to love and cherish....forever......
1 comment:
Grandmas are the best! :)
Post a Comment