CARING FOR OTHERS..........A GENTLE TOUCHSometimes when caring for others there is not much one can do...... But there are times when a hug and a gentle touch of a side of a arm or a hand means so much. When others are hurting whether it be from a life of trials; the strain of an ill loved one; the pressure of life in general words can encourage but a prayer and the quietness of our heart says volumes!!
My sisters and I are a big hugging family. When my dad went to heaven last year we were greeting and thanking so many kind people and a big hug to the ladies who came by helped us and I hope helped them. When my father-in-law went to heaven earlier in the Fall that year I remember a lady coming by the funeral home that I did not really know. I had met her through one of my neighbors and church friends back home. But this lady just came by on her own ( because she was nearby). She simple said: " I am praying for you and touched the side of my arm! That was plenty and very kind.
In caring for others we should always look for ways to help them. We should not look unto our ways and what we need but what they need. And of course, we should be "discreet" and remember sometimes it is best to say "simple things" or nothing at all and tell them you are praying for them. And we should be "discreet" and keep our hands to ourselves if it would make someone feel uncomfortable and not cared for.
Here are some ways we can give that "gentle touch" of kindness:
1. Pray for that person. Don't give your opinion.
2. Be "discreet" in our walk and talk.
3. Look for ways to care for their needs.
4. Bring sunshine into their life but be understanding when needed.
5. Be brief in your time unless they need you to stay.
6. Sometimes a "touch" on the arm means so much.
Life is not always easy. We get the sunshine and we get the rain. Maybe you can be the one "with the umbrella for others"..............when they need it!
2 comments:
Such beautiful advice. -Marcy
I learned a lot from my parents on this subject growing up...they both work in nursing homes and have a special touch with the elderly. I hope to teach this to my children as well.
Love, Rebekah Tastet
Post a Comment