REMEMBERING FAMILY DINNERS.........I can remember growing up and mom (now 88) making such nice and yummy family dinners. It didn't matter what we had going on, dinner was around 5-6 o'clock and the table was set with a tablecloth; nice dishes; bowls filled with steaming potatoes or vegetables; silverware; napkins; and ice cold milk in our glasses. She reminded me of "Aunt Bea" on "the show "Andy Griffith".
Still to this day; my mom always has a nice table around herself. When my dad (90 and now in heaven) would go out and buy them a "Steak n Shake" burger and fries for lunch she would take this and split it between them and put in on two little plates; set out the ketchup; and nice hot steaming coffee and cloth napkins! Just for lunch! We would never be allowed to put out pickles; mayo; or items in boxes on the table without a bowl!
They raised 5 girls and one boy this way...............and now this is passed on to the next generation.
My sister Barbara always has a beautiful spread when we go down to her home at holidays.
Even for our breakfast she had a crystal glass pitcher filled with fresh orange juice; sour cream coffee cake on a glass cake plate; fresh fruit salad in a large bowl to eat, and a nice table set to enjoy! That's a lot of work for her but we all enjoyed it and thanked her. All 15 of us!
I also enjoy setting a nice table but what I use is inexpensive and simple. I use :
1. Tablecloths, placemats ( purchased on 80% off sales; tag sales; thrift stores)
2. Centerpiece ( anything in season; glass bowls filled with oranges; apples etc; candles; fresh
flowers from the yard ( I love snowball flowers in the spring) or .99 carnations from the store.
3. Glass dishes , white or pretty ( Walmart; thrift stores; tag sales ( I got a nice white set of china
FREE at the end of a yard sale)
4. Glass bowls for potatoes ; vegetables ( thrift stores .50; tag sales; I love old ones)
5. Napkins ( I like cloth but I don't have alot of these; I admit I use paper on these ha)
6. Basket for rolls ( .25 thrift store $1-4 Walmart)
7. Silverware ( usually we have these ; but if you need new look for sales)
8. Small individual ramekins ( Again I don't have these ..... future save........ but my dear friend
Mrs. Julie Fink told how she makes individual "chicken pot pies" in these for a "special
dinner.
A dinner can be anywhere; a TV tray for one; a small table for two; or a large dining room table for 10! Its what you want it to be. Be creative. I have to admit: When all the family sometimes has gotten together for a pizza party; We set out the box; throw some napkins on the side; ( I get my husband a plate and fork because he prefers that (ha) ; and we all find a seat and sit ; eat; laugh and talk! That's dinner too!
3 comments:
I just love your blog. I will have to have you be the speaker at some event for women. Unfortunatly I'm not in charge of anything. I went to Value City yesterday and they had 75% more off the clearance price. I guess I'll have to go back and look for all these yummy sounding things. Since I can't cook at least the table should look nice.-Marcy
Marcy is right...you should speak or write a article in CW. Great ideas!
Nancy,
This blog is FABULOUS! What a special lady you are and your 'lessons' in life are bearing fruit. I'm so proud of you :)
I love you,
Forever Friends - Your Australian/
English Girlfriend!
Post a Comment