RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Thursday, January 31, 2008

SELF.........TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF


"ITS GOING TO BE ALRIGHT NOW......REST!"
I can remember mom telling me this when I was 6 just after a dog had attacked my eye and I had to be rushed to the hospital; stiches and then home to rest. Well...........many years later at
51 years of age I have been through many more times of physical problems that have brought on hystorectomy; lumps removed; bedridden with pregnancy; bedridden with problems after pregnancy; iron transfusions; and other life paths..........
I was a person who didn't want to stop because I felt it was weak; not doing my job; or I needed to take care of everyone. But the Lord in His mercy; had to show me that at times in my life He needed me to rest! There is a time for everything and there are times for recovering and rest. A dear Christian lady ; "Mrs. Marlene Evans" came to visit me while I was in the hospital ( I was so weak and sick). She too was weak but she had someone bring her in a wheelchair
up to the hospital to see me. I thought she came to tell me; " I will pray you can get out of that bed soon ..." No, she looked very firmly at me ( like a mother) and said " I want you to go home and stay there and rest completely until you get strong and then you will be able to care for your family". Those words reached deep into my soul.
My dear husband also cared for me when I returned home from the hospital and took charge and care of so many things including the children and their chores.
I want to say; there are times when we need to get up and get going because others depend on us and it may help us mentally. I think we know when those times are. But for the times that you are physicaly enabled for a time in your life, I have thought of some ideas that helped me that might help you.
1. Dont fight it and let your body heal.
2. Keep a basket near your bed . Fill it with your Bible ( read and underline verses. This is healing). Fill it also with a good book; Christian Womanhood Magazine; notecards ( I felt good enough in the hospital to write a thank you to all my nurses who cared for me).; a blank $.77 spirial notebook ( fill this with list of things that you wish you could do; ideas for the future; goals; or verses of encouragement.) * One time I designed a whole summer garden in the winter in my notebook.
3. Make a plan to simplify your home. If you have time ( knowing you will be down) put all clutter away and alot of nick-nacks. If no time; have someone simplify your home.
4. Don't worry if laundry or things pile up. If you have to wade through your hall to the bathroom TRY to ignore it, go back to your bed and rest. The other will get done eventually, just don't make it permanent:). ha
5. If friends want to help, look for ways to use them if possible. ( ironing; grocery run)
6. If someone wants to care for your chidren, make sure you have your husband or someone you trust care for this.
7. If others want to bring meals. Thank them and have family take the food at the door ( this is best for you and for their busy lives as well). Have a family member keep a list in a notebook by the door for thank yous later.
8. If others want to visit ; again have your family see how you are feeling and they can say if you are up to visitors or not. It can be encouraging but also can be too much sometimes for the ill.
9. Make sure you thank your husband and children for what they do. This is alot on them as well. Don't expect perfection from them.
10. Finally, give this time to God to teach you what He wants from you. REST!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Musser, This blog should be the beginning of your book, "Nuggets from Nancy". You know so much. Every day your blog is like reading an inspiring article or a good book. You should consider a book-I'm sure you know a good printer to help you.
Your other daughter, Marcy

Becky Jaeger said...

I LOVE READING YOUR BLOGS THEY ARE SO INSPIRING!