RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Thursday, January 24, 2008

I NEED TO EAT HEALTHY

WHAT TO FEED A BABY OR MYSELF!!!

About a year ago in February; my dear husband had a five-way heart by-pass. We were
shocked but thankful that he was alive. During that time to now he lost about 80 lbs. He also found out he was a diabetic. So my eating world turned upside down.

He is a busy man. To keep his strength up he would eat anything. We would have a nice meal at home but the gas station; Mc'ds; and other snacks piled on him.
I had to do something to help him survive the rest of his days. I read many books and consulted my sister-in-law Linda ( shes a nurse) to help. We ended up eating healthy food everyday and he grew stronger.

But I also knew I was in trouble health wise. We had been through alot that year with both of our fathers going to heaven due to heart issues and now my dear hubby. My heart began to race; and I was so tired. But the little things like cupcakes etc...... kept me comforted. ha
I prayed to God to show me and help me please.

One day while working at our Print Shop my son Josh said "Mom" I have a new eating plan for you. I thought: " yes that will work" How could I afford it? ; It would be too hard; plus I Love potatoes; gravy; and all that good stuff.! ha

I explained to him that I grew up eating comfort foods. The days of nice tables and fried chicken; mashed potatoes; homemade gravy; rolls; and maybe a nice dessert!
He explained: You cant think like that anymore mom! ..................he was right.
He typed out an easy plan for me that I said I would try for a couple of weeks ( I meant days ha). He also told about exercise. ( I didn't even like the word exercise ha)

Here's the plan: You have to find a plan for your Health and what works for you and your family.

Breakfast: oatmeal (plain old fashioned oatmeal) I use 1/2 cup plus 1 cup water in micro.
You may add: 5-6 egg whites
1 good piece of wheat toast with some butter or (my husband likes Smart Balance with Flax seed margarine)
Snack: 2 hours later............ 1 piece of toast and 2T peanut butter ( natural if possible)
or 2 string cheeses ( these are more pricey) or yogurt shake (yogurt; flax seeds; milk; honey) Lunch: A turkey sandwich on ww bread or tuna (no oil) on ww bread or salad with protein.
Snack: 2-3 hours later.....same as above or any protein plus healthy carb about 200 calories
Dinner: ( I try and plan ahead) Any meat or bean ; veggies; and carb. I just try and keep 3-4 ounces of meat; veggies ; and about a small hand of carbs.
Snack: I always needed this . Not so much now. Lite popcorn; graham crackers; fruit.

That's it! I also add fruit here and there such as a banana with breakfast or snack.
I drink more water. What I didn't do was "starve" myself . I kept my "blood sugars up"
This helped me. Since this summer to now I have lost 62 lbs but most of all I FEEL stronger; and healthier.

My exercise: I began walking around the corner. 10 mins. That's all I could do.
Now I exercise on a machine in our basement for 30 mins. ( I could only do that 3 mins. Ha)

This is all in balance. I am not a Diet Nut but a 51 year old lady who needed energy to care for her family. And I can still have the "nice tables" but now they have healthier foods that are helping me and helping my husband.

2 comments:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

These are good inspirational tips!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Musser, Since we are with the teens a lot, they keep me on my toes. An educable slow girl came up to me on Wednesday and said, "Are you allowed to drink that Pepsi?" and "How many have you had today?" -Marcy