RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

DECORATING...............GOING TO GRAMMA'S

DECORATING.......GOING TO GRAMMA'S



Growing up I did not have a gramma.........but my mother always made things fun and child friendly. We did not live near my mother when my children were growing up but when we would visit she would have coloring books and crayons; glue; rides in the Radio Flyer Red Wagon; books to read or she would read to us; treats; and other fun things.


When my children were young, we would make tents over the kitchen table and take a flashlight underneath to read books ; they would pretend with a kitchen towel pinned to the back of a shirt ; or sheer curtains to make a bride.

We would have a book reading contest each summer and make visits to the library each week. We would even make the girls an apron and they would get a pretty button to put on their apron for every so many books and our son had a baseball field made out of felt where he would get a baseball for every so many books and win a baseball at the end.

We would go on walks and pick out rocks; leaves; flowers; or other things that we would bring back and glue to paper and then proudly display them on the refrigerator.


Now that I am a gramma I want my grandchildren to come to my home and be a child! I went to visit a friend ; Denise; one day and the minute I walked into their home I saw that they were grandparents. On one small wall stood a beautiful wooden shelf unit ( like the ones in a day care) with nice red tubs on each shelf. They were labeled and the theme of Raggedy Ann and Andy prevailed. She had books; craft items; puzzles; and other ideas. She told me the grandchildren know where to go when they get there and how to clean up as they play, They love to come visit and I know gramma enjoys it as well.


I know we don't want to overclutter our homes with too many toys and things that break and make a mess but I think the idea of an area where they know they can be a child is smart. My granddaughter is only 3 months old so she doesn't require things to do as yet but long before she came I found a nice little wooden rocker and a small wooden rocking horse at a yard sale. I put it into a corner for future use. Many a child that has visited our home has come to rock in that rocker . At the same time, I had a shelf in a closet where I kept a few coloring books; crayons; plain paper; glue; and simple games. Again, when my girls would babysit in our home these came out and the chldren always seem to know where we kept them. I enjoy collecting "old children books" from the 1940's or 1950's and Little Golden Books by Eloise Wilkens for some time. I love the chubby old-fashion pictures as well as the character messages behind them. I plan to read these soon to my grandbaby.


Whatever, you decide to do.......Make your home a welcome home! When that little one comes to visit and shys behind the mother's knees "Ask her..............would you like to color?" and watch her smile. Bring out the bubbles and have some fun! Make your home a clean; peaceful; fun home to come to.

What are some idea you do for little ones coming to your home?

3 comments:

Becky said...

Ella loves going to gramma already:)Grandpa too:)

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

These are such good ideas. I have a whole "kids guest room" set up for my little grandbaby and any other little person that comes to visit our home. I love little people!

Anonymous said...

My mom has bought Abigail so many toys to play with. She just loves to push all the new buttons and push around the dolls in a stroller. Most of them she bought a garage sales for a few $s. I bought a yellow duck at the Salvation Army. He is 3 feet tall. When my nieces and nephews cames over, they rode him.(As much as you can ride a stuffed animal.)