
HOLIDAYS...ORGANIZING HOLIDAY THINGS
The next holiday is over and its time to put another holiday away. But wait..........we go to the basement and pile it upon the Christmas glass candlesticks; the 4th of July snack trays and next to your husbands golfclubs! Oh my! No wonder we hesitate to enjoy holidays with all the stuff we have to do before and after. I know because in years past I have been there at times.
But now (at my age); I enjoy things with more organization and simplicity to them including holiday decorating.
My daughter Becky always uses clear plastic containers and organizes by holiday or season and labels the boxes to be stacked away. She also always throws out anything that is broken; worn out; or we don't really need. In fact, this year I took a small tote full of valentine things to a ladies meeting I attended and asked if anyone could use them and they went right away!
My daughter-in-law; Jenny uses canvas totes and blue storage boxes and again labels them so she can get to them right away. On her canvas totes she labels these and has them on hand on her upper shelves.
"A place for everthing and everything in its place" I have heard said. This is not always feasible but we can try with some help.
Maybe we don't have the time to go through all the things we have had stored and its a big mess. Sometimes getting help from someone you know who is good at organizing or a sister or friend can help.
Here are a few ideas I have received from others............
1. Take one hour and work on a corner of these things and have 2 piles Keep and Give
2. Look over your holiday fun things and think : Do I need to update some of these or rid out?
3. If you can't afford a container just yet; use a sturdy box that is labeled or for small things the shoe stores such as Payless "give away" their boxes.
4. Ask for help or go to the library for 1 good book on organizing.
When you are done with this task; I can almost guarantee that you will feel a "load' has been lifted. :)
2 comments:
You are a great organizer yourself. I learned all my tricks from you:)!
I have 15 colored totes now for my holiday decor. I just bought them 1 at a time & then put labels on them. My basement has a cubby hole that they fit in(I think God had the house made that way for me) I told myself I can't buy anymore totes so as I get new stuff, some old has to leave to make room for new. -Marcy
Post a Comment