OTHERS...............GIVING AND EXPECTING NOTHING BACKThe most fun part about giving sometimes is seeing the look on that persons face as they open the present you bought for them. But their our times in our lives we must learn to give and not expect anything in return.
My mom ( now 88 years old) made many a meals in our home. She had the house clean and neat and clean. She would have a pretty table set and a delicious meal ready for us to eat each evening around 5-6 o'clock. Everyone in the family would have to come to the table and we would even ask our dad to be excused. It wasnt a bad thing ; it was a polite and respectful thing we just did in our family. Dad would lead in a family grace and we would eat ; talk and their would be no TV; radio; or outside distractions going on. After dinner, my dad would take his plate to the sink and we girls also would help "red" up the dishes. The dishes then would be "hand-washed" in hot sudsy water; dried and then put away. The kitchen would be swept and the light turned off ready for the next meal.
I can't imagine after 6 children; helping my dad with our drugstore ( they inherited) for a couple of years; and other lifes work that after 69 years my mom would say: " I have given and given and have nothing in return". But............I have not heard her say anything like that. In fact, she asks how we are; the children are and what we are doing in our lives. She thinks about others; and not herself.
Our pastor has been teaching on "giving" in secret. Doing something for someone else without them knowing about it. This is a biblical principle. What a wonderful truth this is in life.
I have seen this "truth" done and the blessings that follow. I am praying that God shows me ways to "give" this summer . I am excited to see what follows...................
Matthew 6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
1 comment:
How true. Sometimes it is hard to remember this truth!
-Rebekah
Post a Comment