MY DADS FISHING JACKET AND FISHING POLE
This week I am with my sister helping as she and I took my mom from rehab to her "home" with full time care. She worked so hard in rehab but her little 88 year old body could "not make it over the mountaintop" so to speak so she will come to live with my sister with full time care.
They just sold my parents home of many years and my sister and I went to take out the last remains. My sister and her husband spent the last year cleaning; organizing; sorting; lifting; and gettting their home ready to sell. My dear mom asked if it was all empty. I told her no it wasnt.. it was full of memories!! In the last moments of time. .. all that was left was my dads fishing jacket and pole hanging in the corner of the garage. He and mom had a small pond outside their back porch. He spent many a time fishing and allowing the grandkids to fish along the pond.
As I walked through the house the last time............I walked through the kitchen and remembered the good smell of pork chops cooking; stepped into the diningroom and remember playing "pass the pigs" eating a Pizza Hut pizza and laughing our heads off; I looked at the front door and thought of the many people that entered that door ( it was always .... Well look who came by...!!!!) and you always felt welcome. I looked through the yard and saw where beautiful flowers reined and grew. Dad always had a green thumb.
As my sister walked out she said her "good-by" to an era of our lives. She now begins another new era with my mom as well as the rest of our brother and sisters do.
As I walk out of my home..............what things to I leave? Love? Care? Selfish words? Bad attitudes? As I walk my days with God I pray I will leave an "era" of good memories behind.
5 comments:
Aren't you glad for the good memories? We may not have the things or even the people but we will always remember!
-Rebekah
Your mom must be so happy to have such a wonderful daughter. -Marcy
("sniff" wipe each eye) Beautiful post mom!
This was precious.
This was such a touching post. And it makes me think about my own home and the memories we've made...and continue to make.
Blessings to you!
Post a Comment