RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

DECORATING...........FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY?



DECORATING..........FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY?



I have shared what I am still learning about decorating your home. I really don't think you ever stop learning as things and taste are constantly changing year by year. This week had been a busy week for me as I had my sweet mom come to visit and I had to prepare for another visitor to come this week. I had to laugh as I saw my family room all changed around as I began to change it back to its normal state. You see, I had to move a twin bed down from upstairs to our family room corner because my mom (who uses a walker) needed a bed down on the first floor near a bathroom for convince for her to stay here for a week. I had made her a "room" complete with a table beside the bed for her use and a basket to keep her things in order.


When we decorate we have to keep in mind the uses for our home. A sofa may look beautiful and stately with all its pillows piled all in a row. But if someone comes in to sit can they move a pillow or two to be comfortable or do they have to spend an hour taking 7 pillows off in order to have a seat. Do you have a comfortable home? A place where others can relax and feel they can talk. Or do they cringe or sit on the edge of their seat when they come?


A room where things are neat and clean. A throw on a chair or sofa that says comfort. A small table where a book or drink can be set. * set coasters if you want them to use them. ha Space made for eating; talking; or whatever you choose to make that rooms use.


Here are a few ideas for "comfort decorating":


  1. See what your families lifestyle is.

  2. Do you love to read; play music; games; relax?

  3. Does your husband need a quiet favorite place to relax?

  4. Are things too cold or warm and inviting?

  5. If you have dogs or cats ( I do have dogs) be considerate to others and keep them at bay when others come to visit. ( a little cage with treats may do the trick)

  6. Is there too much noise to give others the jitters or too quiet like you live in a library. Keep good music around.

  7. Does your room smell nice or do you need some help? Candles; plug-ins; simmers on the stove or even when it gets warm, some open windows with fresh air make a room fresh.

  8. Be yourself and creative!


Have fun with decorating but make it a "home to come home to".................



1 comment:

Mishel said...

Another very good post on decorating! I so agree with what you said about dogs. We have a dog that is very much a part of our family, but not everyone is a "dog person", so when we have guests over, he goes outside (which he enjoys) until we know if our guests are comfortable with dogs or not.