RENEWEL EVERYDAY....

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

DECORATING..............THE WINDOWS OF YOUR HOME

DECORATING...THE WINDOWS OF YOUR HOME

I love the way beautiful curtains outline the windows of your home but I must admit I have not had really expensive drapes or do not sew enough to make such ones. But I have had ideas from friends who do and used what I had in making window coverings.



I used to live in an older home (bulit in 1800's) and with it came the beautiful old wood shutter and frames around the windows. I just bought beautiful sheer curtains or lace curtains I picked up for cents at the thift store. This made the older home look peaceful and like its era.


But then we moved and new windows had to be covered. I always tried to look at the date; style of the home and the year I lived in at the moment before I determined what I needed.



A friend told me if you can't do long curtains ; you can always do toppers. I thought that was wise. She showed me how she would take "nice" sheets and make them into "balloon" toppers for bedroom windows. They always looked so neat and clean.


As I have gotten older I notice curtains I like by Waverly and look also for quality. You can shop sales at Walmart; Target; Home Depot and others to find these. If you want a change for a room that doesn't cost much you can look at a thrift store as well . Many times I have seen 1 panel of Ralph Lauren; or Waverly or other nice fabric.



My daughter Ruthie recieved for Christmas a nice apple green comforter and green;pink; and cream sheets. We found a nice round table cover to match and a small little pillow for her bed but needed curtains for this new outfit. We looked in the thrift store and found one panel of a sheer apple green fabric with white small daiseys to put in her window. We just pulled it to one side and it was great. The panel was .60.



Windows can be simple or dramatic. You can put heavy drapery on top with tassels and sheers underneath for an elegant look. Its your time to design.



Here are some other ideas for simple window treatments:



  1. Need a large rod for a big window? Use PCV pipe put together bought at hardware store and buy "finels" for the ends.

  2. Muslin; sheers; ribbon can make up a simple window

  3. Before you buy your curtains, you should calculate the amount of fabric you will need .

  4. To make you room taller; hang the curtain rods higher.

  5. If you need ideas, go to your library

  6. To keep a room warm and cozy look for "lined" curtains. To let the sun shine in choose sheer light curtains over blinds; shutters.

Have fun creating!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought 1 curtain at WalMart but they didn't have anymore. I went to Big Lots and found the same curtains a few weeks later. -Marcy

Nancy M. said...

Thats great Marcy! Thank you for all your sweet comments!